Arkansas State Seal

Reporting Sexual Assault

How do I report sexual assault?

You have several options for reporting sexual assault:

  • Call 911. If you are in immediate danger, dial 911. If you are a victim of a sexual assault and in immediate danger, please call 911. Help will come to you, wherever you are.
  • Contact the local police department. Call the direct line of your local police station or visit the station in person.
  • Visit a medical center. If you are being treated for injuries resulting from sexual assault, tell a medical professional that you wish to report the crime. You can also choose to have a sexual assault forensic exam.
  • .

Some Things to Remember When Reporting Sexual Assault

Do not shower, eat, drink, smoke, comb your hair, urinate, douche, or change clothes before going to the emergency room. Valuable evidence of the assault remains on your body and clothes. However, if you have already done these things, please don’t let this stop you from seeking medical care. If you have changed clothes, place the clothes you were wearing during the assault in a paper bag and take them to the hospital with you.

If you believe you were given a date rape drug, wait to urinate until you arrive at the hospital. However, if you can’t wait, collect your first urine in a clean container with a lid and take it to the emergency room or police station with you. Also, be sure to tell the emergency room personnel your symptoms and that you believe you were given a date rape drug so they can take the necessary samples.

How do I report sexual assault?